? ??????????????Live Forever? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.6 (16 Ratings)??2655 Grabs Today. 27359 Total Grabs. ?
?????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????The Only? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.6 (44 Ratings)??2644 Grabs Today. 53469 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1 BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Media Technology and Teaching

When I first read the topic for our first homework assignment, I must admit I asked myself, "What exactly is 'Media Technology'?" Upon a trusty Google search of the term, I came across what claimed to be a "Pictorial History of Media Technology." It listed a number of inventions in chronological order, from the Edison Cylinder to DVD players. Based off of this, I came to the conclusion that media technology means ways in which people have discovered how to store, transmit, and relay information through means other than person-to-person speech.

For those of you who don't know, this is an Edison Cylinder: It was basically the very first telephone recorder, invented by Thomas Edison in 1877.

Now the homework assigned asks us if we feel media technology should play a role in teaching, at any level. Personally, I believe that media technology can benefit the overall classroom experience greatly, so long as it is properly used depending on the grade level. If the students are children in Elementary School, then they should not be allowed free access to something such as the internet from their home. If they are all learning how to, let's say, use a search engine such as Google in a classroom workshop, then I believe there is nothing wrong with it. However, the teacher should not be giving these kids assignments that require the use of the internet from their home. The internet is a wonderful thing, but many people have sullied its reputation with awful websites filled with all sorts of things children should not be seeing.

Needless to say, as the children age, they should be allowed more and more leeway in terms of internet restrictions. By the time they are in high school a teacher should not be afraid to give them assignments that require online research. The child should be mature enough at that point to be able to use the internet properly, and should be aware of what is out there in the world wide web. They have a conscience; it is up to them how they choose to use something as wonderful as the internet.

The assignment also asked that, as a student, have I personally seen any effective or ineffective ways media technology has been used in a classroom setting. Since I am on the topic of the internet, I might as well continue it. Just last semester I had a class where the professor would show us Youtube videos in order to give visual back-up to arguments she was making. To me, that was a very effective because it gave her story that extra "oomph" which real sealed the deal. As for ineffective uses of the internet in class...this has nothing to do with the professors, but I've seen several students bring laptops to class instead of notebooks and simply check their Facebook or Myspace, or use a messaging software instead of actually taking notes with their Word Processor. I understand that classes are boring at times, and even I am guilty of sneaking in texts while the professor rambled on, but wasting your entire hour and fifteen minutes (or more) on the internet without learning a single thing is just completely ineffective in my opinion. Why bother show up to class at all?

Anyway, that is my personal take on the situation. Media technology can be very beneficial if put in the right hands. If not, then well...we end up with people like this.

4 comments:

  1. Sullied is a good word- "The internet is a wonderful thing, but many people have sullied its reputation with awful websites filled with all sorts of things children should not be seeing."

    I can agree the class time gets wasted by personal laptops- that is why I must stay strong in the computer lab for this class.

    In elementary perhaps short videos or slides could enhance the discussions- and that is where I get to my new point.

    I didn't really learn how to openly discuss things until later in life. Maybe media- a form kids are comfortable with- could get some hands raising and promote confidence in the subject area. I think young children should practice talking- and not just being talked at. Different forms of media could allow for lively discussions even in young settings. But yes- I agree no assignments requiring internet research- as some parents don't reliably supervise.

    I really liked the link to the CAPS question- ha it was good to have a laugh. I wonder if that could even be used as an example in a classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great example of the ineffectiveness of using the internet in the classroom. I have also had a similar experience in one of my classes. I also agree with you that when a professor is able to use lets say a YouTube clip to support an argument it does add that extra "oomph" to the lesson, in fact I would say that it keeps students engaged, because they are not simply just sitting and listening the whole time to a lecture. Students need multiple ways of learning, and breaking up a lecture by including a relevant video is a great way to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the use of media can create an opening for "lively discussions." That was a great point. I feel that when people are able to write how they feel online, for example, they are more confident when they discuss it in class. It also gives people a way to have incite as to how others feel about the same topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,
    First of all, I want to thank your use of media technology in order to add a little extra "oopmh" (as you would put it) in order to add a little more emphasis in order to get your point across with the little model of HELP I CANT GET MY CAPS OFF!!!! That is definitely worth a cheap laugh or two.

    I am on the same page as you as far as your opinions on the ineffective use of media technology in the classrooms which surfaces from students. Unfortunately, too many students abuse technology in the classroom and are too busy surfing the web versus listening to their professor's lecture. I too, cannot understand why these students even bother coming to class or wasting their (or their parent's) money when they chose not to even pay attention in class. Of course some lectures can be tedious, but really, it is only an hour or two out of the day they are asked so sit still, listen, and possibly take notes.

    It find it to be very sad that media technology in a way produces many negative results.I know one particular student and peer who has become so reliant on media technology, he does not even do the actual readings assigned in one of our literature classes. Instead, he purchases his books via iTunes and listens to the books on his IPOD! As a result he practically failed the course and could not understand why.Though I do think if used properly, media technology can be a wonderful thing, it also has its disadvantages

    ReplyDelete